State Instructions — NEW YORK
Registration Deadline — 25 days before the election.
6. ID Number. Federal law requires that you provide your driver’s license number to register to vote. If you do not have a driver’s license then you will have to provide at least the last four digits of your social security number. If you have neither, please write “NONE” on the form. A unique identifying number will be assigned to you by your State.
7. Choice of Party. You must enroll with a party if you want to vote in that party’s primary election or caucus.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
9. Signature. To register in New York you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the county, or of the City of New York, at least 30 days before an election
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (Note: You must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary, or other election in which you want to vote)
- not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction
- not currently be judged incompetent by order of a court of competent judicial authority
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere
NYS Board of Elections
40 North Pearl Street, Suite 5
Albany, NY 12207-2729