State Instructions — MONTANA
Registration Deadline — Regular registration closes 30 days before the election. A prospective elector may register or change the existing elector’s voter information after the close of regular registration and be eligible to vote in the election if the election administrator in the county where the elector resides receives and verifies the elector’s voter registration information prior to noon the day before the election.
6. ID Number. You must provide your Montana (MT) Driver's License number, MT Identification (ID) card number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (SSN). If you are unable to provide the preceding forms of identification, you can provide a United States passport, Montana tribal ID card, military ID card, or Montana concealed carry permit when you register; or submit a photo identification, including, but not limited to, a school district or postsecondary education photo identification with your name on it, and a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows your name and current address. *For information on voter registration ID please visit https://sosmt.gov/voter-id/voter-registration-id-options/
7. Choice of Party. Montana does not require party registration to participate in any election.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
9. Signature. To register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before the election
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- meet these qualifications by the next election day if you do not currently meet them
Mail your completed registration form to your local county election office. The county contact information can be found on the Montana Secretary of State’s website: Election-Officials-Master-Email-List (sosmt.gov). If you have difficulty finding your county election office, contact the Montana Secretary of State Elections and Voter Services Division for assistance at (888) 884-8683 or (406) 444-9608, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: Registrations may be sent to the Montana Secretary of State’s office, however, to avoid potential delays, we recommend you return your completed voter registration application directly to your county elections office.)
Secretary of State’s Office
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801