State Instructions — ILLINOIS
Registration Deadline — Online Registration is available until 16 days before the election and in-person registration is available through Election Day.
6. ID Number. Illinois requires either the Driver’s License (or Secretary of State ID Card) or the last 4 digits of Social Security Number. For people who do not have either of those items, and have not registered in Illinois before, a mail in registration form should be accompanied by a copy of other identifying information: you must send, with this application, either (i) a copy of a current and valid photo identification, or (ii) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter. If you do not provide the information required above, then you will be required to provide election officials with either (i) or (ii) described above the first time you vote at a voting place.
7. Choice of Party. Leave Blank. Exception: for primary elections, unless a voter only wishes to vote on public questions, a party preference should be indicated.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
9. Signature. A signature is required. If signature is missing from registration form, you will be notified your registration is incomplete.
- To register in Illinois you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Illinois and of your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next General Election or Consolidated Election
- cannot be serving a sentence of confinement in any penal institution as a result of conviction of any crime
- not claim the right to vote anywhere else
Preregistration for 17 Year Olds. Illinois permits registration by a 17 year old person who will be 18 on or before the General Election (or the Consolidated Election, the odd year election for city, township, school board and other local offices) to register and vote in the General Primary (or Consolidated Primary) which will nominate candidates for that next following General Election (or Consolidated Election).
State Board of Elections
2329 S. MacArthur Boulevard
Springfield, IL 62704