State Instructions — TENNESSEE
Registration Deadline — 30 days before the election.
6. ID Number. Your full social security number is required. Social security number, if any, is required for purposes of identification and to avoid duplicate registration (TCA 2.2.116).
7. Choice of Party. You do not have to register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Optional.
9. Signature. To register in Tennessee you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of a felony, but if convicted, your eligibility to register and vote depends upon the crime you were convicted of and the date of your conviction. For more information about this process, call 877-850-4959 or visit https://sos.tn.gov/restoration. If your conviction has been expunged, you are not considered to have a felony conviction.
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity)
Coordinator of Elections
Tennessee Tower, Seventh Floor
312 Rosa L. Parks Ave.
Nashville, TN 37243-1102