State Instructions — NORTH CAROLINA
Registration Deadline — Postmarked 25 days before the election or received in the elections office or designated voter registration agency site by 5:00 p.m. 25 days before the election.
6. ID Number. Provide your North Carolina driver’s license number, or North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles ID number. If you do not have a driver's license, then list the last four digits of your social security number.
7. Choice of Party. You must register with a party to vote in that party’s primary unless that party allows unaffiliated voters to vote in its primary. If you indicate a political party that is not a qualified party, or indicate no party, you will be listed as “Unaffiliated”.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. You are required to fill in this box. However, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so. See the list of choices under the Application Instructions for Box 8 (on page 2).
9. Signature. To register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the county in which you live for at least 30 days prior to the election
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
State Board of Elections
P.O. Box 27255