State Instructions — LOUISIANA
Registration Deadline — 30 days before the election.
6. ID Number. You must provide your Louisiana driver’s license number or Louisiana special identification card number, if issued. If not issued, you must provide at least the last four digits of your social security number, if issued. The full social security number may be provided on a voluntary basis. If the applicant has neither a Louisiana driver’s license, a Louisiana special identification card, or a social security number, the applicant shall attach one of the following items to his application: (a) a copy of a current and valid photo identification; or (b) a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of applicant. Neither the registrar nor the Department of State shall disclose the social security number of a registered voter or circulate the social security numbers of registered voters on commercial lists (R.S. 18:104 and 154; 42 U.S.C. § 405).
7. Choice of Party. If you do not list a party affiliation, you may not be able to vote in the Presidential Preference Primary and party committee elections. Political party affiliation is not required for any other election.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Completing this box is optional. See the list of choices under the Application Instructions for Box 8 (on page 2).
9. Signature. To register in Louisiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Louisiana (Residence address must be address where you claim homestead exemption, if any, except for a resident in a nursing home or veteran’s home who may elect to use the address of the nursing home or veterans’ home or the home where he has a homestead exemption. A college student may elect to use his home address or his address while away at school.)
- be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering to vote with application for Louisiana driver’s license or in person at registrar of voters office), and be 18 years old prior to the next election to vote
- not currently be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony; or if under such an order (1) not have been incarcerated pursuant to the order within the last five years and (2) not be under an order of imprisonment related to a felony conviction for election fraud or any other election offense pursuant to R.S. 18:1461.2
- not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or limited interdiction where your right to vote has been suspended
Secretary of State
Attention: Elections Division
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125