State Instructions — IOWA
Registration Deadline — Must be delivered by 5 p.m. 10 days before the election, if it is a general election; 11 days before all others.* Registration forms which are postmarked 15 or more days before an election are considered on time even if received after the deadline.
* If you fail to meet the voter registration deadlines above you can register and vote by following the guidelines for election day registration. You can find these on the Iowa Secretary of State’s website: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/voterinformation/edr.html.
6. ID Number. Your ID number is your Iowa driver's license number (or Iowa non-operator identification number) if you have one, if not then the last four digits of your social security number. The ID number you provide will be verified with the Iowa Department of Transportation or the Social Security Administration.
7. Choice of Party. You may, but do not have to, register with a party in advance if you want to take part in that party’s primary election. You may change or declare a party affiliation at the polls on primary election day.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
9. Signature. To register in Iowa you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Iowa
- be at least 17 years old; A person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before election day. In the case of primary elections, a person may vote if they will be 18 years old on or before the corresponding regular election.
- not have been convicted of a felony or have had your rights restored
- not currently be judged by a court to be "incompetent to vote"
- not claim the right to vote in more than one place
- give up your right to vote in any other place
Office of the Secretary of State
Lucas Building-1st Floor
321 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319