State Instructions — ALABAMA
Form Updated: 08-31-2018
Registration Deadline — Voter registration is closed during the fourteen days preceding an election. Applications must be postmarked or delivered by the fifteenth day prior to the election.
6. ID Number. If you have one, you must provide your Alabama driver's license number or Alabama nondriver identification card number. If you do not have an Alabama driver's license or nondriver identification card, you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. If you have not been issued any of these numbers you must write the word "NONE" and a unique identifier will be provided for you.
7. Choice of Party. Optional: You do not have to register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. You are required to fill in this box; however, your application will not be rejected if you fail to do so. See the list of choices under the Application Instructions for Box 8 (on page 2).
9. Signature. To register in Alabama you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Alabama and your county at the time of registration
- be 18 years old before any election
- not have been convicted of a felony involving moral turpitude (or have had your civil and political rights restored). The list of moral turpitude felonies is available on the Secretary of State web site at:
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent through a competency hearing
- swear or affirm to “support and defend the Constitution of the U.S. and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the U.S. or the State of Alabama by unlawful means and that the information contained herein is true, so help me God”
Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 5616
Montgomery, AL 36103-5616