Silver Spring, Md. – The Election Assistance Commission’s (EAC) Standards Board and Board of Advisors elected new committee chairs and swore in newly appointed members during their respective meetings in April in Miami.
The EAC Standards Board was established by the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) and is comprised of 110 state and local election leaders representing each state and U.S. territory. Among its members are 55 state election officials selected by their respective chief state election official, and 55 local election officials selected through a process supervised by the chief state election official. HAVA prohibits any two members representing the same state to be members of the same political party. Newly appointed members of the Standards Board are:
- Kyle Ardoin, Secretary of State, La.
- Kenneth “Kenny” Barger, Madison County Clerk, Ky.
- Deann Buckhouse, Cass County Auditor, N.D.
- Carri Crum, Clay County Auditor, S.D.
- Heather Doxon, Election Specialist II, Nebraska Secretary of State
- Michael Gill, District of Columbia Board of Elections
- Lynn Jones, Calcasieu Clerk of Court, La.
- Ken Kline, Deputy Commissioner of Elections, Iowa Secretary of State
- Jonathan Marks, Commissioner, Pennsylvania Board of Elections
- Mark Martin, Arkansas Secretary of State
- Alice Miller, Director, District of Columbia Board of Elections
- Lisa Harris-Moorhead, Assistant Legal Counsel, Legislature of the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Louise Phaneuf, Town Clerk, Town of Burrillville, R.I.
- Chrissy Peters, Director of Elections, Missouri Secretary of State
- Jerry Pettit, Kittitas County Auditor, Wash.
- Chris Piper, Commissioner of the Virginia Department of Elections
- Kai Schon, Chief Election Director, Wyoming Secretary of State
- Meagan Wolfe, Interim Administrator, Wisconsin Elections Commission
Within Standards Board, there are several committees that focus on specific aspects of election administration, the EAC and the board’s operations. The chairs of these committees are:
- Gregg Riddlemoser - Executive Board Offices Committee
- Brad King - Bylaws Committee
- Rudy Santos - Clearinghouse Committee
- Mark Goins - Cybersecurity Committee
- Mark Goins - Election Administration & Voting Survey Committee
- Brad King - Executive Director Search Committee
- Gary Poser - Nominating Committee
- Gary Poser - Proxy Committee
- Brad King - Resolutions Committee
- Sally Williams - United States Postal Service Committee
- Gregg Riddlemoser - Voluntary Voting System Guidelines (VVSG) Committee
The EAC Board of Advisors was established by the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) and is comprised of 35 members who assist the EAC in carrying out its mandates under the law. Among its members are the following groups, as specified by HAVA (two members appointed by each): National Governors Association; National Conference of State Legislatures; National Association of Secretaries of State; National Association of State Election Directors; National Association of Counties; International Association of Government Officials (created from the merger of the National Association of County Recorders, Election Officials and Clerks and the International Association of Clerks, Recorders, Election Officials and Treasurers); U.S. Conference of Mayors; Election Center; U.S. Commission on Civil Rights; and Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board. Other members include representatives from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Public Integrity, and the Civil Rights Division; the director of the U.S. Department of Defense Federal Voting Assistance Program; four professionals from the field of science and technology, one each appointed by the Speaker and the Minority Leader of the U.S. House of Representatives, and the Majority and Minority leaders of the U.S. Senate; and eight members representing voter interests, with the chairs and the ranking minority members of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on House Administration and the U.S. Senate Committee on Rules and Administration each appointing two members. Newly appointed members of the Board of Advisors are:
- Elliot S. Berke, Managing Partner, Berke Farah, LLP
- Ricky Hatch, Member, NACO
- Secretary Connie Lawson, President, NASS
- Matthew McDonald, Senate Rules Chair
- Jeffrey McLeod, Director, Homeland Security and Public Safety Division, National Governors Association,
- Sachin Pavithran, Chair, U.S. Access Board
- Mark Ritchie, Senate Rules Ranking Member
- Spencer Ritchie, Administration Chair, U.S. House of Representatives
- Senator Daniel Ivey-Soto, Member, National Conference of State Legislatures
These two boards, in addition to the EAC’s Technical Guidelines Development Committee, are federally mandated boards that assist the EAC with the development of the VVSG and best practices in election administration. The boards are instrumental to the Commission’s ability to fulfill its mission.
For more information, contact Brenda Bowser Soder at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-897-9285.
# # #
The U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC) was established by the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA). It is an independent, bipartisan commission charged with ensuring secure, accurate and accessible elections by developing guidance to meet HAVA requirements, adopting voluntary voting system guidelines, and serving as a national clearinghouse of information on election administration. EAC also accredits testing laboratories and certifies voting systems, as well as administers the use of HAVA funds. For more information, visit www.eac.gov.