Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Contingency Planning in Elections
09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
1225 New York Ave. NW, Suite 150
Washington, DC, 20005
In conjunction with National Preparedness Month, EAC will host a roundtable discussion about contingency planning in elections.
1225 New York Avenue, N.W.
Watch the Webcast! (archived)
PARTICIPATE: Submit questions or comments here. Tweet @EACgov and follow #BReady2012.
Agenda and Discussion Questions
Unexpected events happen during elections, as recent earthquakes and hurricanes remind us. Election officials throughout the nation routinely examine past emergencies and anticipate new ones to develop their community’s election contingency plan. In conjunction with National Preparedness Month and in preparation for the 2012 federal elections, the Election Assistance Commission (EAC) hosts a national discussion about contingency planning strategies to prevent or minimize interruptions in voting during an emergency or crisis situation.
Provide real world contingency planning solutions and strategies to election officials around the country as they prepare for the 2012 federal elections.
- Keith Cunningham, special projects manager, Ohio Secretary of State’s Office - presentation
- Charles Jagneaux, St. Landry Parish, Louisiana, clerk of court - presentation
- Shelley McThomas, Kansas City Board of Election Commissioners director
- Damon Penn, assistant administrator of the National Continuity Programs (NCP) Directorate, Federal Emergency Management Agency - presentation
- Trevor Riggen, senior director of disaster services, American Red Cross - presentation
- Ed Smith of Dominion Voting
- Stan Stanart, Harris County, Texas, clerk - presentation
In conjunction with National Preparedness Month, EAC is hosting a roundtable discussion about contingency planning in elections. Contingency planning is a major component of election administration and helps officials prepare to respond to events that may disrupt elections. Participants will discuss planning, partnerships, communication, records retention and other related topics. Also see EAC's contingency planning materials which include information for identifying, assessing, developing and implementing contingency plans. Roundtable will be webcast live and feature a Twitterfall. EAC will also take questions and comments via the webcast.
Export to Outlook